Senator Mark Stoops
Elected to the State Senate in 2012, State Senator Mark Stoops brings extensive local legislative and fiscal experience to the office, having served as President of the Monroe County Board of Commissioners and as past President of the Monroe County Council.
Stoops is a graphic design and marketing consultant. An advocate for sustainable community development, he also restores historic buildings in the Bloomington area.
A thoughtful and collaborative leader, Stoops seeks advice from experts, colleagues and constituents with a variety of viewpoints to make informed decisions. He understands the nexus between education and economic development, supporting a strong system of public education and higher education to train Indiana’s future workforce. Stoops is also an advocate of environmental sustainability and green job development, human rights protections and health care accessibility.
In the State Senate, he has been appointed to serve as the Ranking Democrat on the Senate Environmental Affairs Committee. He also serves on the Senate Corrections and Criminal Law, Financial Institutions, Health and Provider Services, Insurance, and Local Government Committees.
Stoops is proud of his many accomplishments for his District as an elected official in Monroe County, including:
- Creation of a County Employee Health Clinic
- Purchase of Monroe County Government Center at North Showers
- Monroe County Courthouse Restoration and Structural Repair Project
- Monroe County Comprehensive Plan
- Creation of a Grant Administrator position
- Creation of a Storm Water Utility
- Major Expansion of the Monroe County Alternative Transportation Network
- Passing a Human Rights Ordinance and creation of a Human Rights Commission
- Responsible Bidder Ordinance
- Creation of the Women’s Commission
- Creation of the Environmental Quality and Sustainability Commission
- Creation and Expansion of Monroe County’s Family Planning Clinic
Stoops and his wife Kara reside in Bloomington. He is the father of four children. Born and raised in Indiana, Stoops is the fourth generation of his family to live in Bloomington and Monroe County and is descended from families that settled in Indiana before it was a state. A graduate of Crown Point High School, he attended Indiana University and the University of California, Los Angeles.